Old, new, blue



   We know the classic exteriors of Cuban cars can hide modern – or least more modern – working bits. Updated braking systems with front discs and dual-chamber master cylinders are popular. And some of Cuba’s old cars even have decades-newer engines and transmissions, lifted from European, Soviet or Asian donor vehicles.
   What I had not seen until now, however, was a marriage of old and new body panels. I spotted this amalgam last week in the parking lot of Juan G. Gómez Airport. It appears to be a fairly new Euro-wagon wearing a front clip that may have come from a late-1950s Austin.
   From a distance, it looked pretty good. I wish I could have made a closer inspection, and perhaps learned what story lay behind this blending of eras, but my taxi was waiting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discovered in Cuba, a rare Mercedes bird

The Cuba Gullwing chronology